Two weeks left now. The nerves got to me a few weeks ago and I was really starting to doubt whether or not I’d be able to complete the Ironman course. I’m feeling better about it now and I’ve started tapering for race day.
So how confident do I feel about the whole thing?
If you’d have asked me two weeks ago, I’d have said not very. The Bolton Ironman course is renowned for being hilly and having not done a big (80+ miles) bike ride for a few weeks (and only doing two or three rides of that distance before) I was really starting to doubt whether or not I’d have the legs to do 112 miles on race day. That’s what was troubling me the most. I feel pretty confident about the swim and I’m relatively happy about the idea of the marathon. I can’t see myself not finishing once I’ve got past 10 miles on the run.
I suppose it’s only natural to start doubting your preparation as the event approaches. I’ve only done the full distance across the swim...but then that’s the idea I guess? Race day will be testing new ground.
What’s my training plan for these last weeks?
Originally my plan was to put some big miles in on each discipline until a week before the Ironman so that racing would just felt like the norm. But having spoken to some of the guys in the tri club, that’s not the way to go. Basically, it’s too late to achieve any significant endurance gains now and I need to start my ‘taper’. The ‘taper’ is essentially a period of training where you cut back on your training volume to ensure you’re fresh for race day.
So despite the fact that I was supposed to be tapering, I decided to do a big ride last Monday. Purely for confidence really. I’d been out to do 50 miles or so the week before with a few guys from the club and really struggled. So I found a route that had a big climb in it (similar to the Bolton course) and did 93 miles in the end. It took about 6 hours and I wouldn’t say it was easy; but I did it. That amount of time alone on a bike is a mental exercise as well as a physical one. I’m speaking to myself after about an hour and a half. After about 3 hours I’m asking myself why I’m still sat on a bike; why am I doing it?! At 5 or 6 hours I just want to be anywhere but on a pot hole ridden A-road, miles from home.
Anyway....I’m not bitter about it and it was a good confidence boost. The climb was bigger than the one I’ll have to do in Bolton (although I’ll be doing it 3 times then!) and I didn’t feel too ruined after completing it. Good.
I didn’t ride again last week until Saturday when I went out with the club. Did 60 miles in the rain with a couple of mates and finished it off with a cheeky 20 minute run. I felt good for the majority of it (despite the weather), so I’m really beginning to feel more and more confident about the Ironman. Maybe a podium?...more likely to be immodium. The one downside of that little expedition was getting a flat at about 30 miles. I need to practice changing my tyre so if it happens on race day it won’t delay me for too long.
What now?
Realistically I’ve got 1 more week of training left before I drastically slow things down in the week before D-Day. I think I’ll do a couple of swims, a one hour run and perhaps a couple of bike-run sessions. The important thing that I need to keep in my head is the fact that at this stage, resting is probably better for me than training. Although, when I’m resting, I’m just worrying about not training?!
![]() |
| View from the top of the climb. Hirwain in the Welsh Valleys. |
I’m definitely apprehensive about the whole thing. I know I’ve got the endurance to do it. I know it’s going to painful and I know there’s going to be times when I want to stop. As long as I race slowly and sensibly (and don’t have a massive mechanical issue) I’ll do it.

No comments:
Post a Comment