Thursday, 28 July 2011

Race Rule 3.2: "No form of locomotion other than running, walking or crawling is allowed"

About 3 days to go now. I’ve had quite a few texts/emails from people asking me how I’m feeling so I thought I’d upload an extra little blog entry- you lucky people!

So the week building up to race day (race week) is supposed to be a quiet one. Keep things ticking over but make sure you give your body a chance to fully repair so you’re in peak condition for race day. Allegedly, I should now have copious amounts of energy and every training session should feel like a breeze. I should have to tear myself away from each session; running should feel like I’m gliding.

The reality...I’m sheepishly exercising trying to avoid injury at every cost. In fact, I’m so conscious of potentially hurting myself I don’t really want to train- especially running! I’m aware of every little niggle in my body (niggles I’ve probably had for ages but have never bothered to notice before)and I feel anything but in peak condition. But, I think I’m as ready as I’ll ever be for race day.

I’ve just packed my stuff for the weekend. In total, my ironman day will consist of the following:
Breakfast (3am):        Porridge, energy bar, banana and energy drink
4:30 am:                     Get to transition 1, check the bike, probably queue for the toilet, get in the wetsuit, head down to the water.
6am:                            Race Start. 1300 people, mass start.
7:30 am:                     Should be on the bike by now. 7 energy bars. 7 energy gels. 3- 4 litres of energy drink.
3pm:                            Should be on the run by now. 12 energy gels (one every 20 minutes). Whatever drink I can handle. Probably flat coke or water.
7-8pm:                        Finish. Brag. Collapse. People need to look after me.

I’ve been reading up about race strategies too. Basically the advice seems to be hold back until miles 14-20 on the run. That’s when you’ll find out whether you’ve paced it correctly. The swim should feel super slow because you’ll be pumped full of adrenaline. You need to cruise it some you come out feeling really fresh for the bike.

The bike is your chance to fuel up for the run. I’m going to be taking on about 70g of carb each hour through a gel and a bar. Miles 1-30 should feel really easy. A chance to let your stomach settle after the swim and get a few calories on board. Miles 31-60 should be similar again. Keep eating, keep drinking.  Miles 61-90 should feel a bit harder than normal due to fatigue. If you’ve paced it right, you should start to move up the field again. 91-112; more than likely to be fed up with being on a bike and eating by this time. Need to keep hydrating- it’s the last real chance to fuel before starting the marathon.

I’m going to do my walk-run strategy for the marathon. 9 minute run, 1 minute walk. Take an energy gel every 20 minutes (every other walk). I figure I should be able to eat up at least a mile in every 10 minutes, which puts me in at a 4:20 marathon.

That’s the plan anyway. I guess only time will tell how things turn out. I feel ready for it and to be honest, it will be nice not to be thinking about it once it’s done! I’m travelling up tomorrow to register and I have the ‘pasta party’ (pre race meal) in the evening. Race brief and transition set uup on Saturday. Race Sunday.

Here goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment