5 weeks to go. I haven’t done a great deal of training since the half, largely on the basis of injury prevention. It was initially going to be a 2 week rest but better safe than sorry! I started to gear up the training again the other day. Started off with a couple of short runs (45 mins or so) and getting back in the pool. Not been on the bike, only because other things keep getting in the way. I’ve been a bit sluggish but I’m sure I’ll get back to normal soon enough.
I’ve been back in Plymouth recently so it’s been easy to go out for a couple of open water swims (got some photos too...more in the side bar). I find swimming so much easier it my wetsuit, the only downside is I’m never sure how far I’ve swam. Still, its race specific so it’s better training than just using the pool.
| Found this guy on the beach. He wouldn't leave me alone... ...I think he'd lost his carer |
| Yep...he definitely had. Seemed happy enough though. |
In other sports news...every piece of sports literature I’ve read recommends regular massage to prevent injury and improve muscle repair, but at £25 for half an hour it’s just not an option. Luckily my sisters a physio so I get mates rates when I’m home. As I now understand it, a ‘sports massage’ essentially involves the masseuse inflicting pain on various areas of your body until you can’t bare it any more. Allegedly this is good for you.
I’ve got an ongoing issue with my ITB band; a strip of muscle/ligament (it’s not quite either) that runs down the outside of each leg. It’s an injury that’s apparently common in runners and cyclists. To reduce the pressure I’m putting on it I’ve been advised to ‘activate my glutes’!?! Basically do bum clenches at points throughout the day whilst in a ‘neutral posture’ (either stood up or lying down). Unfortunately I’m yet to master clenching without making an obscure facial expression. So if you see me stood around town at any point with a wry smile and expression somewhere between contemplation and concentration, you’ll know what I’m up to!
Noddy, my mate who was supposed to be doing the ironman with me, found out last week that he’d slipped a disc in his back and has had to pull out. He’s obviously gutted but it’s the right decision to make. Extra pressure on me to finish now! On the up side (for me) he’s sending me down a load of his gear to use which should be a great help- especially the new saddle he’s promised!
Realistically, I’ve got about 3 weeks of serious training left before I calm things down pre race. No excuses now, I need to the make the most of them without pushing too hard and getting injured. It’s going to be a careful balancing act. Fingers crossed!
No comments:
Post a Comment